Is It More Appropriate To Use Text Messaging or Email in Business?
How do you share important work information with your employees as a manager? Many would answer “through email,” but what if some of your employees don’t have access to email? Enter text message communication: a faster, shorthand way to share information. Texting is becoming more common for internal work communication, but so is the debate about texting vs. email in the workplace. Many perceive texts as informal. So, what’s the deal? Is texting an appropriate way to communicate at work? And is it more professional to email than text?
The truth is, no means of sending messages is more or less “professional.” What matters is getting your employees the information they need, when they need it. Thus, the most appropriate way to communicate is the way that’s going to reach your employees promptly, and not leave anyone out of the loop. That’s why we developed Yourco: a text-based communications platform that makes reaching your non-desk employees much easier. We’ll even share ways to use Yourco for scheduling texts to employees. But first, let’s talk about this whole “email vs. text” debate, and explain why texting is good for communication on the job.
Is Texting Considered Unprofessional for the Workplace?
The short answer is “no—texting can be just as professional as emails.” While some people may perceive texting as unprofessional, they’re simply mistaken. First, there is no one way to be “professional.” That depends on the expectations of the workplace (as well as the proper treatment of your employees, of course). For example, shouting is not “professional communication” when working in a library, but shouting is appropriate for relaying information at a construction site.
Second, people that see text messages as unprofessional most likely work in white-collar environments. That is to say, they are thinking of how most use text in daily life: shorthand, informal, quick bites of information. But, texting can be more than emojis and “lol”s. Like any communication tool, the level of “professionalism” they have depends on how you use them and the messages you send with them.
Yourco turns texting into an excellent tool for workplace communication. With our platform, you’re able to send communications via text to all your employees at once. What’s more, you can even schedule text messages several days (or even months) in advance. This means you can reach any non-desk employees, or even reach employees that aren’t always able to access email.
Communicating with your staff via text is not only professional, it offers various benefits that email communication lacks—especially with a platform like Yourco at your fingertips. What are some of those benefits? Read on to find out!
What Are the Advantages of Using Texting for Business?
Using text messaging for internal communications has a lot of upsides:
- Include Every Employee in the Workplace: Only some employees have access to a work email. This makes communication harder if you have a large non-desk work force, but it also makes things harder when you need to communicate to different groups of employees. Oftentimes, those who work when the managers work get more direct communication. How do you ensure the night shift gets the same information as the 9-to-5-ers? Using text means that no matter where the employee works—or when they work—they can get the information they need, and feel just as up-to-date as their coworkers.
- Reach Employees Quicker (And Easier): Even if employees have access to email, they may have a job that requires them to constantly be away from their computer. Using text gives you a better chance to reach your staff when something requires more immediate attention—whether that’s an update for a meeting or urgent information for an upcoming shift.
- Get the Right Information Out, at the Right Time: Leaving communications up to “when you get to it” isn’t always the best, especially when you’re in a leadership position. Scheduling messages ahead of time helps you send a variety of reminders, updates, and so on—and at the time when it’s needed. Send birthday texts to your staff, remind them to renew their benefits, or give the graveyard shift some critical updates for their work (without waking up at 2 AM to send a text).
Yourco: Be Heard, Feel Seen, Work Well
Communication is key for business, but good communication turns that key. Yourco ensures that you can communicate in the best way possible for your business. With our two-way communications platform:
- Keep all your employees informed, whether they work a desk job or a floor job
- Send key updates, reminders, and vital information to your employees at the right time
- Schedule ahead of time to ease leadership roles and smooth out communications at work
Take control of your workplace communications in a way that is easy to understand, and even easier to use. Sign up for a demo today, and see for yourself!